Monday, February 13, 2012

Copycat Monday: Dining Room Table

I had such a great weekend!  Tom went to South Carolina to consult for a client so I decided to take Morgan to Utah on Wednesday to visit family.  She got to see the cows with grandpa, go swimming, ride the school bus, jump on the trampoline and have a picnic.  I got to go running without a jacket and take a lot of naps.  Seriously.  My mom asked if I was feeling alright.  YES!  I was just relaxed because someone else was watching Morgan.  Then Tom gave up his seat on the Saturday flight back to Boise (for a voucher, of course) and the airline put him on a flight to Utah so he surprised us at his mom's house on Saturday.  

Today's project is this table that I picked up for $20 at a thrift store.  The owner got it like this then put a layer of varnish over the top (to keep the ugly in, maybe?).  We had to take it apart to get it home so the before picture doesn't have legs, but you get the idea.  This is also another of my 12 of 2012 projects.  

before
after


I got most of my inspiration from Miss Mustard Seed and her explanation of top coats which was very helpful when I was doing this.  
Top Coats - Tips on Products & Polishes for sealing your painted or stained pieces. Thorough information.

I was going to do it Robyn Egg Blue like this one but in the end I realized that Heirloom White would be more versatile.  My friend makes fun of me because I paint everything white but I just can't help myself.  
Annie Sloan wax -- beautiful


I started by sanding the table.  I sanded the first half then decided to try to strip the other half.  I like the stripping best for this flat surface.  It took a lot less time.  I still had to sand a layer after stripping, but it still was faster.

When I was finished sanding, I spray painted (Heirloom White by Rustoleum) the legs and around the table under the table top.  This picture is on another camera so I'll update it later.  

Besides the paint, these are the other products I used.  The Valspar antiquing glaze was for the legs, the Minwax products were for the table top.  

Here is the table after the paint but before anything else.


This is before the Valsapar antiquing glaze.
 And this is after.  I just brushed the glaze in the lines and wiped off the excess glaze with a damp cloth.

To finish it, I stained the top Dark Walnut by Minwax and rubbed on a wax finish, also by Minwax.  It is not glossy and I absolutely love it.  I splashed some stain on the white paint (so tape off/cover the paint if you do this) so I ended up distressing it slightly.

It goes a lot better with my grandfather clock than the iron/glass set!

This week's project will be redoing the 4 chairs that I found on craigslist.  Then I can either sell or give away the iron/glass dining set.  Hooray!

And last, but not least, my husband is brilliant.  It was our wedding anniversary on the 2nd.  We budgeted $50 for dinner but nothing for gifts (we're not really gift people).  He brought me home one red rose.  Why is he brilliant?  He knew that a dozen would bother me rather than make me happy because I think it is a waste of money, but he showed that he remembered by bringing one.  Love that man!  Happy anniversary, Tom!

Linking up at the great Linky parties found at the bottom of the blog.  They are where I find most of my inspiration!  Check them out!

plus

17 comments:

  1. The table turned out great! I really love the contrast between wood and a paint color. As for the anniversary, I agree. I usually ask my husband to bring me something for my garden or a potted plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The table turned out great! I love the satisfaction of finishing a big project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that table!!! wow...doesn't look like a $10 table now!!!
    I would only like 1 rose too..for the same reasons!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely table! Thank you for linking up with Make-It-Yourself Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe that is the same table! Beautiful.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing!! I wanna be like you when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job! Thank you for sharing! You know I love this table....so my style too! : ) Love, Me www.youaretalkingtoomuch.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! Love the transformation!! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this same table and this is the treatment that I'm going to do on it. Thanks for insperation!!! You did a great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I am your newest follower - I found you on the Crafty Scrappy Happy linky party that I am cohosting. I hope you will drop by and see me at the Painted Pear.
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well it is hard to beat white! Lovely table! Can't wait to see the chairs!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your table looks really beautiful and yes, it does look better with your gorgeous clock.
    CIndy

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous! What a beautiful job refinishing it! And good for you for getting to run and have break even for a short time! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party.. can't wait to see what you share next!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks great and I am glad you went with white. A designer friend of mine said that the blues may be waining. I still like them a lot but maybe we will be glad that we didn't over do them. White goes with everything and it makes it easier for girls like us that like to change things out rather frequently.
    Thanks for linking up to BeColorful's Motivated Monday
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. I completely and totally love your table!!! Thank you SO much for the inspiration!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  16. $20.00? Wow, you got a fabulous deal! The table turned out beautiful. Thanks for linking to the Open House party. Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...